Guidelines for Community History Exhibits
The El Paso Museum of History is honored to provide space for the community to celebrate to host exhibits. To make this is a success we ask that you read through and follow the format of submitting proposals for future exhibits.
Guidelines for Community History Exhibits
The El Paso Museum of History is a municipal museum, whose sphere of interest is the people of El Paso and the surrounding area.
The Museum’s mission statement is as follows:
The El Paso Museum of History exists for the educational benefit of the community and visitors. It promotes the understanding and significance of the rich multicultural and multinational history of this border region known as the Pass of the North. Through exhibits and programs, the Museum involves diverse audiences in exploring varieties of human experience and encourages individuals to explore the past and reflect on their own place in history.
The Museum has a long history of working with community individuals and groups to provide relevant exhibits to our audience that we might not otherwise be able to provide. However, the Museum as a City funded entity is responsible for planning an exhibit schedule and budgeting the funds and manpower to accomplish that schedule.
Hereafter, proposals for community organized exhibits will be considered only once a year. Proposals are due by 5 p.m. on September 30th and must be submitted on-line. Notification regarding proposal status will be made via e-mail by 5p.m. on October 15th.
Each group or individual that plans to submit a proposal to the Museum must attend an orientation session. The schedule for orientation sessions will be posted on the Museum website, www.elpasotexas.gov/history, by August 31st.
Individuals or groups proposing an exhibit must take the following items into consideration:
- Topics for exhibits should fit within the Museum’s mission statement. Other topics will not be considered.
- The spaces available for community exhibits are the hallway outside the 1st floor Seminar Room and the 2nd floor lobby.
- Final artifact lists and story-line are due three months before exhibition opening.
- All proposals will be approved and scheduled at the discretion of the Museum Director.
- The Museum reserves the right to review all items and/or design plans submitted as part of the proposal, and may approve, approve with minor changes, or reject any part thereof.
- After approval, a formal memorandum of understanding will be generated between the Museum and the exhibit organizers detailing all responsibilities.
- All artifacts and material brought in for the exhibit will be listed on a Museum loan form, and will be subject to the conditions identified therein.
- Exhibitors will receive no compensation for projects.
- Museum staff will provide: formatting and printing of object labels; signage and collateral materials; curatorial support as needed; and promotional assistance.
- All installation of artifacts, signage, and label copy will be handled by Museum staff according to the approved design plan.
- The Museum will print and provide up to 200 postcard invitations for the use of the exhibitor.
- Exhibit organizers are responsible for any reception. The date and format of such event must be approved by the Director. A Museum Operations work order must be filed two weeks in advance of the event.
- To help us improve future community partnerships, a meeting to evaluate the experience may be scheduled after the exhibit has been removed.
Each proposal should include the following:
- The application form provided on the website.
- Letter/statement of interest detailing the purpose or goals of the exhibit, the types of material that would be included, and the proposed means of installation.
- Images and an annotated list of the artifacts and/or graphics material to be included.
- Recommendations for speakers and/or other public programming that might be associated with the exhibit.
E-mail submissions to; AngusBX@elpasotexas.gov
Subject: “Community Exhibits”
Only e-mail submissions will be reviewed
- PC-compatible files only
- JPEG format only
- File size: Submission must not exceed 10MB